Sunday, May 22, 2011

Susan G. Komen meets Mary Kay

Hey All,

April was my first month of running my Mary Kay business for something greater, and I LOVED doing it!!  I was able to raise money for House of Hope through sale profits as well as for St. Matthew Kid Care program.  What fun to be able to support awesome causes while "working". . .if only all work could be so easy and so rewarding!!

Well, I'm super late on revealing the May cause, but super, super excited to tell you that May, June and July are going to an AMAZING cause!!  I'm sure you are all aware of and perhaps some of you have participated in Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  For those of you who aren't familiar with it, here's the link so you can check it out: www.komen.org.  On April 1, 2011, I received a call from a friend telling me that his mom had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Thankfully, it was detected early and she was given a good prognosis.  As soon as I hung up the phone with him, I decided that my Mary Kay charity for May was going to be Susan G. Komen.

Shortly after I made the decision, I was on facebook and there was a link in my newsfeed related to the Susan G. Komen 3-day Race for the Cure.  A high school classmate, Angie (Butz) Callahan, is doing the Chicago event in August and raising money in honor of her mom who was diagnosed with breast cancer last fall.  Here's the link to her personal page: http://www.the3day.org/site/TRC/2011/ChicagoEvent2011?pg=peditor&fr_id=1611&px=5889334.  Reading her story, I decided that I wanted my support for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure to go directly to her fund-raising efforts and a month didn't seem like enough when I gave thought to the fact that Angie and others who are training for the 3-day walk will be putting MONTHS of time into getting ready for an enormous undertaking.  Thus, it only seems right that their months of preparation be matched by my months of support.  Therefore, FIFTY PERCENT of all my MK profits in May, June, July and August are going to Angie's fundraiser for Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.  This includes any and all profits from parties, one-on-one consultations, catalog order, online orders (www.marykay.com/acweiss) and re-orders!  In other words, you can buy MK skincare, make-up, spa products and 50% of your profits are going directly to Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure!!       

Last week, I was asked to pray for a co-worker's sister who is in her 30's was diagnosed with breast cancer on May 11, 2011.  She is married with a young child and starting chemo.  I am in awe of her faith and the faith of her family as she begins to embark on a course of treatment that is sure to be anything but easy. I ask that you keep the three women mentioned in this blog, as well as all of the women who are diagnosed each year with breast cancer and courageously fight back, in your prayers!!  Part of the continued race for a cure is to pray for a cure. . .let's not be remiss in underestimating the tremendous power of prayer!!

1 comment:

  1. Oops.....wrong link to Angie's personal page. It should be: http://www.the3day.org/site/TR/2011/ChicagoEvent2011?px=5889334&pg=personal&fr_id=1611.

    ReplyDelete