Saturday, April 9, 2011

April Showers Bring...

As a lifer in the Midwest (my most "southern" residence was Chicago), there is something about April that puts a little pep in my step.  Recent Wisconsin weather has proven that March is a wonderful time for blizzards, and sometimes Spring comes on its own terms rather than when the calendar dictates!  April is different for me.  Regardless of what is happening outside, my mindset tells me that Spring is in the air.  With that, comes hope for warmer temperatures, more sun, birds chirping and those wonderful April showers that bring May flowers and all kinds of new life!

Thinking about what my charity would be for the month of April, I decided that I wanted to select a charity that encapsulates the idea of HOPE and NEW LIFE that comes to me each April.  Let me introduce you to House of Hope (http://www.houseofhopegb.org/index.html).  For those of you who are not familiar with House of Hope, I am cutting and pasting material from its home page to give you an idea of its purpose and its mission.

Mission StatementHouse of Hope offers a safe, supportive place where young mothers
learn to become competent adults and independent, successful parents.

Program Description
House of Hope provides programming, services
and shelter to homeless pregnant or parenting
women, aged 18 to 24, and their children.

Quote of the Week
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead

 
I am guessing that most people reading this blog have not ever found themselves in a position of homelessness; however, I know many reading this blog are parents.  Imagine for a moment if that time in your life when you world was turned upside down by the anticipation of your first child was wrought with the thought of where you were going to find a place to sleep with your new baby, how were you going to feed your new baby and what, if any, support were you going to have in raising up this young life.  For some, those thoughts are a reality and the answer to those questions is found through service provided at House of Hope.

For the month of April, 30% of all proceeds from my Mary Kay product sales will go to House of Hope.  The "power product" I have selected is ALL lip products.  This includes lipsticks, lip liners, lip glosses, Satin Lips, etc.  50% of all proceeds from lip product sales will go to House of Hope.  Check out my website at www.marykay.com/acweiss and email me with any questions about products, etc.  I will email you back, or if you would prefer that I call you, let me know a phone number and good time to reach you and I will call you.  Keep in mind that I can ship products to home or business addresses, so don't let not living near me be a barrier. 

If you don't have an interest in buying anything at this time, that's cool.  Remember that I am a no pressure girl! :)  I would encourage you to think about the quote of the week from the House of Hope website and check out the "volunteer opportunities" on the website (link above).  If nothing else, consider the power of prayer and keep these women and their children in your prayers throughout the month of April.  Let's be that small group of thoughtful, committed citizens and do our part to inspire change in lives around us!

No comments:

Post a Comment